Monday, July 9, 2012

Let's Head to the Sea...

Sea, salt and surf. Life can't get better than this.

Loren and I headed outside the base yesterday and explored Okinawa. We drove down a random side road and found a great little beach. There were just a few locals surfing in the waves.

It's an odd feeling being the only American at a place. You feel a little self-conscious, and you don't want to accidentally insult anyone. I kept saying, "hi," to everyone, until Loren reminded me that "hai" means "yes" in Japanese. So here I was, walking around and saying, "Yes!" to everyone I met. Whoops.

The water was warm and perfect. The surf was a little rough, so it wasn't exactly a leisurely soak. I got absolutely whomped by a huge wave that hit me from behind. (It's never a good sign when you look up and there's a wave rolling over your head.) On the bright side, though, sea water seems to be a good hair styling product. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment