Sunday, July 29, 2012

Hiking to Tadake

I knew hiking in Okinawa would be somewhat different than, say, taking a day trip up to the Sierras.  What I didn't expect was for our first trail to actually be a stream.

At the trailhead
Today we hiked up to Tadake.  (I think it translates into "Ta Falls.")  It's located about eight kilometers past Nago and an hour-long drive from Kadena Air Base.

Driving along Highway 58
Along the way, we passed an awful-looking car accident.  We think the person was texting and hit the curb.  Yikes.

Someone's day just got ruined
After we reached the turn-off for the falls, we drove down a windy road for a few kilometers.

Heading into the jungle
We passed a fish hatchery and took a few wrong turns before we finally reached the parking area.  

Ready to start!
I was a little surprised by how many people were on the trail.  The place is a little remote and relatively hard to find, but there were at least 40 cars parked along the road.  Most of them were native Japanese -- we only saw a handful of Americans.

I love the floaty toys and bug nets ...
Okay, here's where the photos end.  Unfortunately, I was too nervous to take my camera or phone along on the hike.  I wasn't sure how deep the creek became, and I'm kind of a klutz when it comes to slippery rocks.  So I can't offer you photos of us sloshing around and rock-climbing to the falls or photos of the gorgeous waterfalls themselves. 

I also don't have photos of us climbing the slippery ropes up the top of the falls or bushwhacking through the jungle.  Sorry.  There are photos online that another American group took several months ago.  I'm definitely going to invest in a cheap waterproof camera or carrying case before I go back to Tadake. 

We took the toll road back to Kadena beause it's so much quicker.  They also have awesome signs along the side of the road.

I love these signs along the expressway.  I haven't actually seen this animal, but I'm sure they wouldn't put it up if  this beast didn't exist.
Overall, a great trip!  We didn't run into any nasty bugs or snakes, so I'm grateful.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment