Saturday, January 18, 2014

Yoshihatchi Sushi

Japan is a sushi-lover's paradise.

Everywhere I go, there's an abundance of good, relatively inexpensive sushi.  (Even the convenience store sushi rolls are delicious.  You can't go wrong with a 300 yen bento box from Family Mart.)

Loren and I usually frequent the sushi restaurants near the Sunabe Seawall, such as Kouwa Sushi and Sushi Zen.  They're delicious, but they're usually packed with other Americans.  (It's nearly impossible to get away from other Americans on this island.)  So on Friday night, I was in a daring mood and wanted to try something truly authentic.

I did my research and memorized every possible Japanese restaurant-related phrase.  Kore o onegaishimasu.  ("I'll have that one, please.")  Osusume no ryouri wa nan desu ka?  ("What dish do you recommend?")  One of my coworkers suggested trying Yoshihatchi restaurant in Okinawa City.

Sure enough, the restaurant was a random hole-in-the-wall down a side street off of Highway 23.  Big red, white and blue Orion Beer lanterns swayed in the breeze outside the restaurant.  I felt hopeful -- this was going to be a genuine "Japanese experience."

Sorry for the low-qual photos -- I used my iPhone that evening.
 When I entered the restaurant, I took a deep breath and belted out my Japanese proudly, "Konbanwa!  Futari, onegaishiasu!"  ("Good evening.  Table for two, please.")

"Hello," said the hostess in fluent English.  "Two?  Right this way ..."

We took our shoes off, and she directed us to a tatami seating area with little wells to put our feet under the tables.  I looked around the restaurant and realized that it was full of other Amerikajin.  So much for trying to get off the beaten path ...  


That being said, the food was absolutely delicious. We had tempura, various sushi rolls, steamed asparagus and miso soup.  Everything was made fresh-to-order, and the food came out quickly. 


The restaurant owner was a hoot, too.  Apparently he spent some time in the U.S. back in the 80s.  The walls are covered with photos of him and celebrities.  (The chef and the cast of Hawaii Five-O ... the chef and Don King ... the chef dancing with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe ...)

Let's get funky

When I asked to take a photo with the chef, he quickly grabbed several Japanese swords.  (I thought that I had seriously offended him, and I was ready to bolt out the restaurant.)  Nope, he was just setting up a photo opp.


Even though the restaurant wasn't what I expected, it still turned out to be a great experience.  Good food, good company ... what more could you ask for?


Interesting side note:  did you know that there's an order in which you should eat your sushi? 

No comments:

Post a Comment